mason bees


more than one month i ago i attended a talk given at our nature center, by a fellow master gardener. he spoke about attracting native bees to our homes by using nesting blocks. making these nesting sites for bees is quite easy, and i was motivated to make a bee house when i left the short seminar.

it seems that bees really enhance our gardens' splendor by pollinating flowers and truly ensuring the growth of many plants. i was told to place my mason bee house in a sheltered location on a fence or tree, away from my house, about three to six feet from the ground. our back fence made a perfect spot, since the nest should face east or southeast, so it does receive the morning sunshine.

before i could even start on my house construction, i saw my fellow master gardener, and he gave me a house he had made just for me. i am thrilled to see if mason bees come to my garden this year, and will be anxious to see if my flowers benefit from their new home.

Comments