welcome

Come along with me as I journal about my latest cooking and gardening adventures. Discover what grows in my zone five garden, and see what new recipes I try from my cookbook collection each week.



As I share recipes and information from my kitchen, I invite readers to comment and share ideas along with me in this blog. I am looking to increase followers to my blog, so that I may learn more about cooking and gardening.



Since moving to Midland, Michigan, I have been reading and researching many cooking journals, cookbooks and collected recipes from the past thirty years. Organizing pictures of gardens I enjoy has also been a joy for me, as I continue to learn about garden design and horticulture.

angel food cakes

angel food cakes
this kitchen is seasoned with love

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

easy dinner

one of my goals is to eat fish twice every week.  not only is fish a healthy protein, but it is very low in fat and very speedy to prepare.

for this dinner, i chose to bake the fish in a ceramic dish, topped with a bit of ground black pepper, dried parsley flakes, and an herbal seasoning in a jar.  with a few tablespoons of water from the tap around the fish, i simply place the dish into the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

during this time period, i boiled several small red potatoes for brian on the stovetop.  when their time was completed, i covered the fish in the oven with tin foil and lowered the temperature, until i could complete the vegetables.  i drained the water from the potatoes, and mashed them with their red skins intact, adding a couple tablespoons of margarine, and a 1/4 cup of skim milk.  at the same time, i lightly boiled the green beans and within five minutes the dinner was completed.

preparing cod in this manner, creates a flaky and delicious fish entree, low in calories and fat grams.  over the years, i have tried a variety of seasonings, including lemon, fresh thyme, chives, a selection of peppers, and i have even baked the fish with grape tomatoes.  any of these choices are tasty and quick.

No comments:

Post a Comment