welcome

Come along with me as I journal about my latest cooking and gardening adventures. Discover what grows in my zone five garden, and see what new recipes I try from my cookbook collection each week.



As I share recipes and information from my kitchen, I invite readers to comment and share ideas along with me in this blog. I am looking to increase followers to my blog, so that I may learn more about cooking and gardening.



Since moving to Midland, Michigan, I have been reading and researching many cooking journals, cookbooks and collected recipes from the past thirty years. Organizing pictures of gardens I enjoy has also been a joy for me, as I continue to learn about garden design and horticulture.

angel food cakes

angel food cakes
this kitchen is seasoned with love

Sunday, June 20, 2010

sweet woodruff


one of the best ground covers for shade also happens to be classified as an herb commonly known as sweet woodruff.  another name for this scented plant is galium.  the pretty leaves carry a scent throughout the summer and can be used when dried for sachets.  for the first year, i am going to try to dry some of the leaves on some screen.  another highlight of this plant is the beautiful white star-shaped flowers in the springtime, which brighten up my shady border.  this herb likes the shade, but without any sun at all may fail to bloom. this plant grows in my shade garden in my backyard and was given to me by my friend jennifer, who i met at the midland master gardener association.  thanks jennifer, i love this plant.

1 comment:

  1. I will explore Capitol Market for this herb. Does it get tall enough to dry in little bundles?

    ReplyDelete