globe thistle and coneflowers

just before i left midland michigan to stay in grosse pointe park for a few weeks, i photographed my colonial garden.  since this is just the third year of my garden, each new bloom has been special to me this season.

 for the first year, i have grown a handful of cornflower blue globe thistle.  this plant is stunning in dried arrangements and also complements fresh flowers on any table.  the sharp points are fascinating to me, since flowers are typically soft.  the circular thistles are firm to the touch and stand tall without flopping as they grow and change color. their blue tone is both subtle and vibrant.

equally lovely are coneflowers, which seem to be multiplying this year for me.  as they mature, their petals begin to droop, and their appearance changes sometimes over night. this plant was purchased last year in midland and has not disappointed me at all.  although sometimes coneflowers seem to attract disease, i think my garden escaped any trace this year.

Comments