welcome

Come along with me as I journal about my latest cooking and gardening adventures. Discover what grows in my zone five garden, and see what new recipes I try from my cookbook collection each week.



As I share recipes and information from my kitchen, I invite readers to comment and share ideas along with me in this blog. I am looking to increase followers to my blog, so that I may learn more about cooking and gardening.



Since moving to Midland, Michigan, I have been reading and researching many cooking journals, cookbooks and collected recipes from the past thirty years. Organizing pictures of gardens I enjoy has also been a joy for me, as I continue to learn about garden design and horticulture.

angel food cakes

angel food cakes
this kitchen is seasoned with love

Sunday, September 19, 2010

martha stewart homemade pizza

for nearly twenty years, i have used a recipe for homemade pizza crust published by Martha Stewart in one of her quick cook recipe books.  this crust is both tasty and easy to prepare.

i allow the crust to rise twice, as i have found that to produce a more tender crust for the pizza.  the recipe is basic, requiring flour, water, powdered yeast, salt, and olive oil.  after kneading, i allow the crust to rise in a warm oven covered with a towel, with the oven light on.

about one and one-half hours before baking the pizza, i removed the risen crust and place into a well oiled pizza pan, then returning it to the oven.  this second rise gives the crust a very soft texture and prepares it well for the toppings.  for this pizza, we used pepperoni, green onions, diced tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, and my favorite herb mixture.  before baking, i also use an olive oil spray for the crust and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
this homemade pizza has been a family favorite for years and can be made using a variety of toppings. it bakes well and is quite simple and delicious. 

No comments:

Post a Comment