welcome

Come along with me as I journal about my latest cooking and gardening adventures. Discover what grows in my zone five garden, and see what new recipes I try from my cookbook collection each week.



As I share recipes and information from my kitchen, I invite readers to comment and share ideas along with me in this blog. I am looking to increase followers to my blog, so that I may learn more about cooking and gardening.



Since moving to Midland, Michigan, I have been reading and researching many cooking journals, cookbooks and collected recipes from the past thirty years. Organizing pictures of gardens I enjoy has also been a joy for me, as I continue to learn about garden design and horticulture.

angel food cakes

angel food cakes
this kitchen is seasoned with love

Sunday, October 31, 2010

maple cupcake icing

my favorite homemade icing recipe is so simple and can be flavored many different ways.  for fall cupcakes last week, i chose maple flavoring and received compliments on the unique taste.

the icing recipe is:
2 1/2 sticks of unsalted butter at ROOM temperature
5 cups of confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon extract (any flavor)
1 to 2 tablespoons of milk

beat butter first until creamy.  then add the sugar one cup at at time, and the rest of the ingredients.  the icing is fluffy and creamy. i only made half of this recipe to use for piping the cupcakes. however, i still used almost the full amount of extract for a great taste.

this icing flows from the icing bag very easily and pipes well into any design.  after decorating twelve cupcakes, i still had enough icing for another couple of cupcakes left in the bowl.  this quick recipe is so much more flavorful than store bought icing and takes only a few minutes to make.  it is very important to have the butter at room temperature before whipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment