welcome

Come along with me as I journal about my latest cooking and gardening adventures. Discover what grows in my zone five garden, and see what new recipes I try from my cookbook collection each week.



As I share recipes and information from my kitchen, I invite readers to comment and share ideas along with me in this blog. I am looking to increase followers to my blog, so that I may learn more about cooking and gardening.



Since moving to Midland, Michigan, I have been reading and researching many cooking journals, cookbooks and collected recipes from the past thirty years. Organizing pictures of gardens I enjoy has also been a joy for me, as I continue to learn about garden design and horticulture.

angel food cakes

angel food cakes
this kitchen is seasoned with love

Sunday, November 7, 2010

classic egg foo young

my recipe collection spans thirty years of clipped magazine recipes, found recipes from newspapers and from a whole host of stores and restaurants.   i have saved this recipe from Joyce Chen, a television food host long before there was even a food network.  i remember watching her on PBS when i was in my twenties.  i have saved this recipe, and we enjoy eating this classic Asian dish with white rice. some might call this a vegetarian omelet, but the sauce makes it egg foo young.  for this evening, i made vegetarian egg foo young.  however, i have added shrimp or chicken to the dish quite successfully.

here is the recipe:
5 eggs mixed with a fork in a bowl, 1 cup fresh bean sprouts or shredded lettuce, 1/2 cup celery, 1/4 cup sliced onion, 4 oz canned sliced mushrooms drained, 1/2 cup of shrimp or chicken if desired, salt and pepper to taste, and 1 tsp sherry.  mix all ingredients.  drop by large tablespoonfuls onto a skillet sprayed with canola oil.  brown both sides.  it is easy to tell when the dish is ready as the egg takes only a few minutes to cook through.  keep the egg foo young warm in the oven while preparing the sauce.

sauce recipe:  2 cups chicken broth, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tablespoon light soy sauce, 1 tsp catsup, 3 1/2 tablespoons of flour dissolved in 1/4 cup water.  mix all ingredients except flour/water mixture in a saucepan over a low heat.  slowly add the flour/water mixture to thicken the sauce as it comes to a boil.  it is important to stir constantly as the flour/water mixture is being added, or the sauce will form lumps.
serve this entree with white rice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment