welcome

Come along with me as I journal about my latest cooking and gardening adventures. Discover what grows in my zone five garden, and see what new recipes I try from my cookbook collection each week.



As I share recipes and information from my kitchen, I invite readers to comment and share ideas along with me in this blog. I am looking to increase followers to my blog, so that I may learn more about cooking and gardening.



Since moving to Midland, Michigan, I have been reading and researching many cooking journals, cookbooks and collected recipes from the past thirty years. Organizing pictures of gardens I enjoy has also been a joy for me, as I continue to learn about garden design and horticulture.

angel food cakes

angel food cakes
this kitchen is seasoned with love

Monday, April 4, 2011

baked macaroni and cheese

baked macaroni and cheese is a classic comfort food dish that warms everyone up on a chilly wet day.  for this traditional recipe, i use 2 cups of elbow macaroni noodles.  boil these for 8 minutes, even though the box may recommend longer.  8 minutes will soften the noodles that will continue to bake in the oven with the rest of the ingredients.

for the white cheese sauce, start with 2 tbsp of margarine melted in a saucepan.  add 2 tbsp of flour and stir to mix and heat. add 1 teaspoon of salt.  gradually whisk in 2 1/2 cups of milk, while stirring to incorporate the flour mixture.  this is an important step that must be done carefully to incorporate the ingredients into a perfect white sauce.  by gradually adding the milk, and whisking with a wire whisk, and going slowly, this step can be done successfully.

after these ingredients have been incorporated and heated to coat the back of a wooden spoon, add 2 1/2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese.  then, drain the macaroni noodles, then add to this mixture. 

pour into a greased casserole dish. add another 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese to the top before baking.  bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes, and then allow to rest for about 5 minutes before serving.  baked macaroni and cheese is a wonderful classic dish to have in any recipe box for a go-to comfort food meal.  serve this dish with a green vegetable, herb roll or salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment