spring daffodils and tulips

when the weather finally warms up in Michigan, i am energized to walk in my garden and begin the spring clean-up.  first, clearing the garden beds of mulched leaves that were placed in the fall for winter plant protection.  next, i use a heart hoe to gently stir the soil from being compacted with many inches of snow for months.

soon, my bulbs begin to emerge from the soil, and with a little bit of rain and the warm sun, they begin to become a welcome sight.  these yellow daffodils were purchased from my garden club last year and were given a little splash of bulb food as they began to develop their leaves.

these pink tulips and purple grape hyacinths are within my garden fence and bloomed a couple of weeks later adding color and contrast to the many green perennials that are growing for this summer season.

i like to mix bulbs within my perennial garden, my shade garden, and my borders.  throughout the spring, i enjoy seeing a solid splash of color to brighten the yard.

each spring i add about 1/2 inch of composted manure to top dress the garden and the beds.  i have found that this little bit of compost adds a wonderful burst of nourishment to my plants.

Comments