bee balm and obedient plant

 frequently referred to as monarda or bergamot, bee balm is a herbaceous plant that is in full bloom in my garden today.  over the past few years, i have planted several colors of monarda, including pink, light purple and dark purple.

i have an area in my side yard where i have begun to establish a naturalized garden space, where a large part of the day is sunny and warm.  this year, the bee balm has grown and spread very nicely in this garden, while attracting many bees, butterflies, and even a hummingbird one day.  i was thrilled to see the hummer going from blossom to blossom as i was enjoying my flowers as well.

also blooming now is my obedient plant, often referred to as false dragonhead.  this tall white plant is growing in partial sun outside of my garden fence.  the clusters of white flowers are very attractive and unusual.  since this is a newer plant to my garden, i was very happy to see it blooming for the first time this year. 

Comments