welcome

Come along with me as I journal about my latest cooking and gardening adventures. Discover what grows in my zone five garden, and see what new recipes I try from my cookbook collection each week.



As I share recipes and information from my kitchen, I invite readers to comment and share ideas along with me in this blog. I am looking to increase followers to my blog, so that I may learn more about cooking and gardening.



Since moving to Midland, Michigan, I have been reading and researching many cooking journals, cookbooks and collected recipes from the past thirty years. Organizing pictures of gardens I enjoy has also been a joy for me, as I continue to learn about garden design and horticulture.

angel food cakes

angel food cakes
this kitchen is seasoned with love

Monday, March 12, 2012

mint meringues

st. Patrick's day is less than one week away, so it is time to plan something special to celebrate the day.  here is a fun, easy and quick recipe for a very light meringue.  with a hint of green, the fresh minty taste is just perfect for a simple dessert.

to make the meringues:
preheat the oven to 225 degrees. these cookies don't need much heat.  line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  beat 4 room temperature egg whites and 1/2 teaspoon cream of tarter with an electric mixer until they are foamy.  add
1 3/4 cups of confectioners' sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time and continue beating until peaks become stiff and glossy.

use a large decorating tip on a pastry bag and pipe onto the baking sheet.  bake 1 hour and then turn off the oven and allow the cookies to stay in the oven for 2 more hours to dry.  remove from the oven and add sparkling green sugar to decorate.


these light cookies are wonderful with homemade pistachio ice cream.

serve them in a clear pedestal dish or crush them and serve in individual pedestal glasses with fresh whipped cream, layering the cream and meringues on top of each other. 

No comments:

Post a Comment