welcome

Come along with me as I journal about my latest cooking and gardening adventures. Discover what grows in my zone five garden, and see what new recipes I try from my cookbook collection each week.



As I share recipes and information from my kitchen, I invite readers to comment and share ideas along with me in this blog. I am looking to increase followers to my blog, so that I may learn more about cooking and gardening.



Since moving to Midland, Michigan, I have been reading and researching many cooking journals, cookbooks and collected recipes from the past thirty years. Organizing pictures of gardens I enjoy has also been a joy for me, as I continue to learn about garden design and horticulture.

angel food cakes

angel food cakes
this kitchen is seasoned with love

Friday, November 23, 2012

sweet potato puree

from Ina's most recent cookbook comes this recipe for sweet potato puree.  i decided to try these potatoes for thanksgiving this year, and the recipe was delicious.  i use a vegetable steamer for most vegetables, but had not tried this technique for potatoes.  i must say that the sweet potatoes cooked perfectly without becoming mushy in boiling water.

to make the puree: cook the potatoes over simmering water for at least 25 minutes, stirring them to change their level in the steamer.  i used two large sweet potatoes for four to six servings of puree. be certain to cover the steamer and frequently check the pot for a boil over under the steamer.

when done, transfer to a bowl and mix with an electric mixer.  slowly add about one teaspoon of orange zest, either grated or dried, 1/2 cup or more of orange juice, and salt and pepper to taste.  i used blood orange juice.


next, add margarine and half and half, a tablespoon or two at a time to make a creamy puree of the sweet potatoes.  at first, the potatoes will be stringy and of a thicker consistency.  keep adding ingredients to suit your taste and desire for appearance. serve hot and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment